Tom Ford is one of my idols, I find him fascinating and a true man of style. He is successful at whatever he does (film, fashion, etc) and always looks fantastic. He is never one to shy away from telling the truth and that makes him even more interesting to me. Well AnOther Magazine sat down and talked with one of the planets most stylish men and Tom, as always, had something to say. Taken from the interview (which will appear in full in their Spring/Summer 2011 issues) here are 5 rules for Gentlemen as told by Tom Ford:
- You should put on the best version of yourself when you go out in the world because that is a show of respect to the other people around you.
- A gentleman today has to work. People who do not work are so boring and are usually bored. You have to be passionate, you have to be engaged and you have to be contributing to the world.
- Manners are very important and actually knowing when things are appropriate. I always open doors for women, I carry their coat, I make sure that they’re walking on the inside of the street. Stand up when people arrive at and leave the dinner table.
- Don’t be pretentious or racist or sexist or judge people by their background.
- A man should never wear shorts in the city. Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach.
These are lessons (of versions thereof) that I was instilled with growing up as a kid and that every man should adhere to. Personally, rules 1 & 4 are the ones I find most important and I think the other 3 rules would end up being followed as a result of those 2. What do you think? Do Tom’s rules apply to everyone? Should men be following these rules?
P.S. I guess I should put my shorts away